Skip to main content

Finding  Creativity Flow and Work Ethic


In November, I presented a workshop about creativity and the art process at the Illinois Art Education State Assoc. State conference. My workshop was about how to incorporate a studio practice tenuously balanced with being a full time art teacher. Most questions centered around finding the time for creativity, space, routine, and balancing commitments. I rediscovered my creativity after starting to kayak at age 33. The secret is that there is no secret. You have to do the work to tap into the creative flow. I use Google calender, Evernote, and journals to organize my ideas. The Documentary Studies Certificate Program at The Center for Documentary Studies (Duke University) has helped me meet some my technical and conceptual goals. These are the same work habits I discuss with my advisees and student every day. Some of my best photos happen at Montrose Beach in Chicago at sunset when it is 10 degrees. I dedicate chunks of every weekend for my video/photo work. At times, it does leave with less time for family and friends. During long weekend and holidays, I make extra effort to catch up with friends and family. The first segment of my kayaking film will be released in 2016 and I will have two solo photo exhibits, Fall 2015 and Jan. 2016. 
Check out the infographics and links below that feature the work habits of artists and writers:

Via http://www.fastcocreate.com/3028428/infographic-see-the-daily-routines-of-the-worlds-most-famous-creative-people

Via http://www.fastcocreate.com/3028428/infographic-see-the-daily-routines-of-the-worlds-most-famous-creative-people




http://designtaxi.com/news/367437/Infographic-The-Time-Taken-For-Famous-Artists-To-Finish-Their-Works/?interstital_shown=1



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6th Grade Paper Brain Models

As my school joins the maker and stem movement, more and more of collegial conversations focus on student projects as problem solving. The need for students to understand and to manipulate materials is imperative. One such project incorporates all of these ideas. It is the origami paper brain model by Martin Pyka. Examples below are from my 6th gr. class. http://www.martinpyka.de/paperbrain/

Met Museum's Amazing Collection: Writing Systems

  5th Grade students are studying writing systems. Today we looked at this beautiful tile that has calligraphic writing!  Ramadan Mubarak to all who celebrate ✨ In honor of the start of #Ramadan , a look at this stunning #mihrab , or prayer niche. One of the earliest, finest examples of mosaic tilework, it was made by joining cut glazed tiles to produce intricate arabesque and calligraphic designs. pic.twitter.com/avvZ6DzQV0 — The Metropolitan Museum of Art (@metmuseum) April 13, 2021